16 April 2020

SCOTUS on tape


As Supreme Court cases are argued, the oral arguments bring a little personality into the process. Oyez let's you listen to recordings of the oral arguments and hear those moments when the personalities come through. Like this moment from Kelo v New London when we were left wondering what those four words were.
"And just -- I would say that in this case, the essence of federalism is to let various courts make various decisions about what they consider an important public purpose. It may be different in Utah from the way it is in Connecticut, and it's different in Florida, and I don't think this Court should be having a new jurisprudence for this area and having two separate tests, and maybe having a test that even approaches the Nollan Dolan test where you certainly want to discourage people from taking these actions. And so it seems to me the four words I think that this Court should consider -- and I'm not going to tell you the four words since my red light is on. Thank you, Your Honor."
 Justive Kennedy asked the opposing attorney if he knew those four words, but he did not.

No comments: