31 August 2007

Edison: The Man and the Township


After a commemorative coin and some serious fundraising efforts it now looks like the Edison Menlo Park Tower in Edison is going to get the attention it deserves. When we talk about cultural landscapes in my classes, this clearly qualifies, but few have this sort of far reaching significance. And, while I am unconvinced by this statement of community support, I appreciate their recognition of the ubiquitous threat to historic sites:
The site where Edison worked has never been vandalized and is the pride of the townspeople, said Jack Stanley, the museum curator.
To be honest, I suspect that a poll of Edison residents would still find a high percentage who have no idea that the Tower is there and I suspect that a decent number of residents don't realize who the Township is named after.

No comments: