17 March 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

To celebrate, we are thought we should look at Ireland's two Cultural icons on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Since I haven't been to either, I'll add them to my life list of places to go see.

First is Skellig Michael, a monastic complex on a pyramidal rocky island. It's rocky paths and ruins look like settings from any number of movies, making me wonder if it has influenced those as well.

(Photo by GDR from the Wiki Commons)

The second is the Archaeological Ensemble of the Bend of the Boyne which is a series of prehistoric sites which combine to form "Europe's largest and most important concentration of prehistoric megalithic art."  The sites have a variety of henges and tombs, feature solar alignments, and predate the pyramids.

(Photo by Rodrigo y Pamela from Wikicommons)

1 comment:

wholesale Wireless Accessories said...

I have never been to places like Skellig Michael and Archaeological Ensemble of the Bend of the Boyne. How I wished I could have a trip to have adventures here and witness those tombs being preserved inside the bend of Boyne. I find the place so tranquil and peaceful.