04 April 2009

How designers fail

The other day I overheard some design students complaining about a tough critique on their first iteration of a project. Designing, changing, redesigning, and changing again is part of the process. Jason Tselentis clearly agrees, as he explains in this essay on Speak-Up.
"The entire creative process requires you to be unsuccessful: failed concepts, long hours, repeated attempts, constant revisions, massaging the details, and patience carving your career."
But for students, the software makes this even more difficult. This story from the essay soounds pretty familiar:

The student exclaims, I just cannot make Photoshop do what I want to!
The instructor replies, This is only the fifth week of class,
to which the student retorts, I know, I should’ve mastered it by now!

No comments: