04 October 2008

Encyclopedia of GIS

A few months ago Sage published the Karen Kemp edited Encyclopedia of GIS. I was honored to contribute a piece on PPGIS, but now that I see the other authors listed, I am even more humbled. Here are a few highlights:

Object Orientation (OO) by Sean Ahearn
Spatialization by Andre Skupin
Metadata, Geospatial by Lynda Wayne
ESRI by David Maguire
Ethics by Will Craig
Geographic Information Law by Harlan Onsrud
SDIs by Ian Masser
Data Access Policies by Max Craglia
Sampling and Spatial Analysis by David Unwin
Needs Analysis and Life Cycle by Bill Huxhold
Image Processing and ERDAS by Nick Faust
Spatial Interaction by Mike Batty
Cartographic Modeling by C. Dana Tomlin
The Harvard Lab and Geometric Primatives and Scales of Measurement by Nick Chrisman

That is a seriously incomplete list, since this is a 550 page tome and I am still just getting to know my way around in it. But it is already clear that this is really one of the 5 or so key GIS reference books that I would encourage every serious GIScientist to keep handy.

No comments: