20 October 2008

Free movie

Who doesn't like a free movie? Well, other than movie critics.
Reel Africa at Rutgers presents:
Sisters in Law (Cameroon; 2005) directed by Florence Ayisi and Kim Longinotto; in English, Pidgin and Hausa with English subtitles
In the little town of Kumba, Cameroon, there have been no convictions in spousal abuse cases for 17 years. But State Prosecutor Vera Ngassa and Court President Beatrice Ntuba are determined to change that, as they help women and girls to fight cases of battering, despite pressures from family and their community to remain silent.
Presented by Professor Ousseina Alidou, Department of African, Middle Eastern and South Asian Languages and Literatures
Tuesday, October 21 at 7 PM in the Graduate Student Lounge, College Avenue Campus
While I haven't seen this, I know that I have seen some increasingly good movies from Africa recently. I find the unfamiliar settings and customs help me question my own assumptions and force an awareness of place that changes my contextualization of the problems pretty significantly. The diversity in the movies has also struck me as being very rich, making it hard to stereotype the output.

No comments: